History of ITAM
Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), previously known as Instituto Tecnológico de México (ITM), was founded on March 29th, 1946, by the Asociación Mexicana de Cultura (Mexican Cultural Association) a renowned group of bankers, industrialists, and businessmen who, led by Raúl Baillères, worked to make higher education the driving force behind industrial and economic change in Mexico.
Since its foundation, the Institute sought to educate professionals capable of generating and promoting a new development model for Mexico in technical, administrative, and economic spheres. The School of Economics, the pioneering program of our Institute, was the main force behind this goal. In 1947, the High School and School of Business Administration were founded. For the first four years, the Institute was located at 518 La Palma Street.
The Fifties: A Decade of Expansion and Growth
In February 1950, the Schools of Economics and Business Administration, as well as the High School, were transferred to a building located at 65 Serapio Rendón Street, Colonia San Rafael. ITM worked to consolidate its image in academic circles throughout the 1950s. Enrollment, which in the beginning amounted to 52 students, grew to 500 students by 1951, in part due to the opening of the Public and Private Accounting program. In 1954, ITM made the decision to close down the High School for it entailed high expenses for the Institute.
By the end of the fifties (1958), the Institute moved to especially customized facilities at 350 Marina Nacional , on the corner of Lago Zirahuén Street, Colonia Anáhuac . A year later, the Business Management program changed its status in order to be upgraded as an undergraduate program in Business Administration.
The Sixties: A Decade of Significant Changes
During this decade, two significant events that defined the Institute's educational and university framework took place. The first was the publication of the decree in the Diario Oficial de la Federación (Federal Official Gazette) on January 19, 1963, with which the Mexican President López Mateos, through the Minister of Public Education, Jaime Torres Bodet, granted ITM its "Autonomy" and the ranking of Escuela Libre Universitaria [Independent University School].
The second consisted of launching the Comprehensive Development Plan (1969-1977) on October 6, 1969. This plan included the implementation of substantial academic, administrative, and organizational modifications to ITAM, among which the following stand out:
- The division of programs into departments for the purpose of increasing academic excellence .
- Modifications to the three programs in order to create common courses .
- The physical unification of the three schools (Economics, Accounting, and Administration) to be located on a single campus (Marina Nacional).
In 1969, the Institute proudly began to use its present name: Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM). In 1985, the Ministry of Public Education, headed by Jesús Reyes Heroles, signed the decree that allowed the institution to adopt its current name.
From the Seventies to the Nineties: A New Campus and New Programs
In the seventies, ITAM underwent an accelerated growth, which lead to the creation of several new academic programs (Applied Mathematics, 1974; Social Sciences, 1975, and a Masters in Business Administration, 1974). On March 29, 1978, the Institute moved to its current campus at 1 Río Hondo Street, Colonia Progreso Tizapán.
Since then, various modifications have been made to upgrade ITAM's infrastructure and services, as well as to increase the variety of ITAM's undegraduate programs:
- Law (1980)
- Actuarial Science (1982)
- Computer Science (1983)
- Political Science (1991) which replaced Social Sciences
- International Relations (1992)
- Telematics Engineering (1993)
- Industrial Engineering (1997) and joint programs: Business Administration and Public Accounting and Financial Strategy, Economics and Political Science.
An important event in ITAM's recent history has been the inauguration of the Centro de Investigación y Estudios de Posgrado [Center for Research and Graduate Programs], located at 939 Av. Santa Teresa, Colonia Héroes de Padierna, on April 16, 1991. This center is mainly devoted to research development, instruction of graduate programs, continuing education courses, as well as top management programs.